Holiday Shopping Safety Tips
from the ECHD Police Department
- Do not have purchased items visible in your vehicle. Place them in the trunk or cover them with another object such as a blanket.
- When shopping during evening hours, park in a well-lit and heavily traveled area.
- When possible, avoid shopping alone.
- Carry a minimal amount of cash. Instead use checks or debit/credit cards to make purchases.
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused. Keep a record of all of your credit card numbers in a safe place at home.
- Be aware of strangers approaching you for any reason. At this time of year, people try various methods of distracting you with the intention of taking money or belongings.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you see any suspicious activity, notify the police, security or appropriate store personnel.
- Do not leave your purse/wallet unattended for any amount of time.
- Avoid overloading yourself with packages. Instead make frequent trips to you vehicle to lessen your load.
- Be extra cautious using ATMs. Use machines located in highly populated areas and be aware of your surroundings.