As we start this new year, we need to find a way to really live healthier lifestyles. Often times, New Year Resolutions are large in number and vast in scope. Let’s simplify that to “Just Three Things”.
Today’s MCHS Healthy & Well Blog is from Mia Gibson RD, LD, CDE, Dietitian at Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab at the Center for Health and Wellness. She recommends the following three things that will lead you to a more nutritionally complete way of life.
- Add one serving a day of fruits and vegetables – fresh, frozen or canned (no salt if possible).
- Reduce sugars- replace a sugar-sweetened product such as a beverage with water or unsweetened option such as iced tea.
- Try cooking one additional meal at home instead of eating out. Check out the Web site www.oldwayspt.org to purchase a four-week Mediterranean meal plan with new recipes. They have many free, wonderful recipes also on cooking vegetables and trying new foods.
Mia also recommends that you try this recipe from Kellogg’s for Original Bran Muffins. (Source: https://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/recipes/original-muffins-recipe.html)
Original Bran Muffins: These simple bran muffins have a wholesome, nutty, packed-with-bran taste. Thanks to All-Bran® cereal, these little gems have fiber plus essential vitamins and minerals. A healthy and delicious way to start your day.
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg’s® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg’s® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine KELLOGG’S ALL-BRAN cereal and milk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg and shortening. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Portion evenly into twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° F about 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Molasses: Decrease milk to 1/2 cup. Add 1/2 cup molasses to KELLOGG’S ALL-BRAN cereal with milk. Omit sugar. Follow directions above.
Toasted Cinnamon: Split cooled muffins in half crosswise. Spread cut surface liberally with butter. Sprinkle with mixture of 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tablespoon cinnamon. Place buttered sides up on broiler rack. Toast under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbly and browned.