The Benefits of Exercise on Diabetes
by John Douthitt
General Manager – Mission Fitness* at the MCH Center for Health & Wellness
Regular activity is a key component of managing diabetes. When you are active, your cells become more sensitive to insulin allowing them to work more efficiently. Your cells also remove glucose from the blood using a mechanism totally separate from insulin during exercise.
Besides lowering one’s blood glucose and thus improving their A1C score, regular physical activity can help your body manage many health conditions. Some of the benefits of regular physical activity are the following:
- Lowers blood glucose levels.
- Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Lowers one’s risk for heart disease and stroke.
- Burns calories to assist in maintaining a healthy body weight.
- Increase in energy throughout the day.
- Improved sleep.
- Stress reduction.
- Improves circulation and cardiovascular output.
- Strengthens muscle and bones.
- Keeps your joints flexible.
- Can improve balance thus reducing the likelihood of falls.
- Improve one’s quality of life.
*Mission Fitness, the most advanced health and fitness complex in the Permian Basin, incorporates state-of-the-art facilities with the most cutting-edge training equipment available today. Whether you are training as part of a medical treatment plan, or just want to stay in the best physical condition you can, Mission Fitness is perfect for you. If you would like a tour of Mission Fitness, please visit the facility located on Hwy. 191 at Faudree Rd. (8050 E. Hwy 191) in Odessa, TX. For more information, call 432-640-6400.