by Cindy Burnette MSN, RN, CA-CP SANE
MCHS Trauma Outreach Coordinator for Education & Injury Prevention
Please take a minute to read through these firework safety tips. We want everyone to have a safe Fourth of July Holiday!
- Always read cautionary labels and instructions before lighting.
- Use fireworks only outdoors and ensure that the area is clear and away from buildings and vehicles.
- View fireworks from at least 500 feet away from where they are being lit.
- Always have a bucket of water or a water hose nearby to quickly extinguish any fires that may start.
- Never light fireworks with an open flame such as a cigarette lighter, use appropriate lighting equipment supplied by firework manufacturers.
- Never light fireworks while holding them, always place them on the ground as per their instruction.
- Do not light more than one firework at a time or “tie” fireworks together.
- Never try to relight a “dud” firework.
- Expose of used fireworks by wetting them down and placing them in a metal container away from any combustible materials.
- A responsible adult should supervise all firework activities and never allow children to light fireworks.